Monday, January 24, 2011

This is real life!

I leave for Italy tomorrow night. Regardless of the fact that my entire life is packed into two suitcases and a backpack, I still can't believe that I'm going! The nerves have not set in yet, AT ALL. I've never been nervous for a trip before, and I've never gotten homesick, but for some reason I thought traveling across the ocean would be different. I'm curious to see if I have any of these feelings once I'm at the airport.

I am about to experience what will probably be four of the greatest months of my life, so I want to remember every detail. I am going to write in my journal every day, and try my best to post some abridged versions of my entries on this blog (along with pictures, of course!) If any of you reading this notice me slacking, feel free to comment on here and yell at me.

Here are some great ways to keep in contact with me:

Send me mail
c/o Istituto Lorenzo de' Medici
Via Del Melarancio 6/r
50123 Firenze, Italia

Skype me


Follow me on twitter
@taragaspar

Call me (only if you like silly international calling rates?)
+39 3771685796


Knowing that not many people get to experience a semester abroad, I am extremely grateful for the opportunity. No part of my trip would be possible without my friends and family. My mom has every minor detail of my life highlighted and filed and copied and listed, and my dad has equipped me with every odd survival tool he could find (pocket knife?, toe warmers, flashlight, pen that turns into a flashlight, bug spray, and my personal favorite, the "rape whistle"). I think he thinks I'm going camping. I'm excited for the day that some catastrophe happens and I am there to save the day with my pocket-knife-multi-tool-mabob. I also would be ten times less prepared for life in Firenze without the support and advice of my wonderful aunts, Kathy & Fran (Katarina & Francesca?) who are true Italy experts. I can't wait for them to watch my Italy video this Thanksgiving!

Next time I write, it will be from another country, another continent, several time zones away, in a city that I can't wait to explore. Wish me luck on my twelve-hour journey.

Arrivederci, America!

1 comment:

  1. Are you surprised that your dad has gotten you all of those tools?? You came to Clemmy freshman year prepared for the worst! Although, your tool kits, can opener, and random other things were quite helpful at times. Miss you and can't wait to read more stories! PS- Don't read my blog, it is just for English until this semester is over, and then I am going to start a real blog!

    ReplyDelete