Monday, February 7, 2011

Don't touch the veggies!

Today took my mom & aunts' advice to "not touch the veggies" to a whole new level. I have become very accustomed to the Marcato Centrale already, and I know which vendors will let me touch, and which won't. I'm also used to navigating our tiny little overpriced supermacato, Punto. Since we live on a street of all hotels and hostels, we have realized we are getting completely ripped off. Today, my social psychology class went on a field trip to the "suburbs" to see a tourist-free grocery shopping establishment. I expected something similar to the Marcato Centrale, old-fashioned and authentic. What I found was a gigantic supermarket about the size (if not bigger than) a super Walmart or Target. And it was ten million times more "modern" than anything I've seen in the USA. ShopRite and BiLo are stone aged compared to this place. It was set up kind of like a mall, with a car on display in the front. Then, you could grab these strange little scanners to carry around with you, scan each item you put into your bag, and then check out at the end just by scanning the scanner thing (rather than putting each individual item on the conveyer belt). Pretty fancy. We had to "observe" Italian shoppers behaviors and social norms, as opposed to shoppers in an American supermarket. Not a bad way to spend my once-a-week class time. I noticed that Italians take their time (as they do in every aspect of life). I saw five people in just one aisle all standing completely still, carefully reading every detail of boxes of cereal. In America, I grab the Special K and toss it in my cart before I even realize I am in the cereal aisle. They also carry around these adorable wheely carts that look like suitcases. Here is the best part: they wear rubber gloves to pick out their produce. You were right, Auntie Katarina & Francesca! They very carefully stare at their produce (rather than throwing their hands all over it) until they specifically pick out the perfect piece with their rubber gloves. At the end of our visit, me and two friends I met in class bought pre-made sandwiches from the deli section.  It was actually the best sandwich I've had here so far! All of the cafes on our street have pre-made ones that aren't spectacular, but this one was on bread that was almost quesadilla-esque, and filled with spinach, mozzarella, and tomato.

We took a lot longer than expected at the supermarcato, so I had to run to my next class. Luckily my international marketing professor is a nice guy and excused my tardiness. They are actually really strict about attendance here. Three absences lowers your grade by one full letter! Kind of silly, but I guess if they didn't enforce that we would all just travel every day and never go to class. Sneaky tactics, LdM.

I realize this entire post is about food, but there's more to tell. I have become quite the cook! Well, at least within my no-meat boundaries. Tonight, Jacqueline said my pasta dish looked like something from a restaurant. Success! I bought homemade spinach and ricotta ravioli from the Marcato Centrale, and it literally takes not even five minutes to cook since it is so fresh (and not hard like normal pasta). Yesterday I cooked that, and then in a separate pan tossed olive oil, garlic, zucchini, onions, olives, cheese, and pecorino tomato sauce. Then I just add the pasta into the pan and it is delicious! I did the same thing tonight with pesto sauce. This is the first time in my life I have been cooking without reading directions or using a timer. I usually have to read the box of pasta before I even throw it into the boiling water, but now I'm feeling adventurous. I'm hoping I learn a lot more recipes in my food & wine class. Maybe I'll even get over my fear of preparing raw meat.

Never fear, my jeans fit better than ever! I walk so much here, so I think five or six little ravioli for dinner is perfectly acceptable. Plus, the transition from fried Southern cooking to fresh veggies and no additives is pretty great.

If you can't tell I'm already food & wine obsessed. I've been here for thirteen days, so I am afraid to see how much this escalades by May. Roomies of the 222, get ready for me to be a master chef senior year (and a total wine snob).

Tonight, my roommates and I are going to a meeting for a travel company that sets up small group tours in different cities with a "local" who shows you around. I am thinking about signing up for their trip to Dublin so I can avoid the tourist-traps and learn about my red-haired heritage. We're also about to plan our entire semester! Planning trips is much more complicated than expected (and of course I am "the planner" of the group...typical) so I have a lot of work in store. I just can't wait to see (and taste) the rest of Europe!

Ciao

1 comment:

  1. Woah they have ShopRite up in Vernon?? We have that where I live and I didn't think anyone else had every heard of it!!

    ReplyDelete