Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Beginning of the End

Today it hit me that I'm going back to America in twelve days. TWELVE. I am not ready at all and am mentally preparing myself for the reverse culture shock. I've realized nearly all of my blog posts are about weekend trips, but I never write about the perfect Firenze days in between them all. My last two weeks will be documented thoroughly so that I don't forget a single thing :)

Yesterday I got out of class and ran into Mindy. She had just had a horrible class presentation and needed a beer. I never turn down an afternoon trip to Lion's Fountain, so I joined her and Ashley met up with us. We found ourselves sitting in Lion's for three hours drinking Bulmer's Cider (my favorite) and adding stamps to our Lion's cards so that we can get free t-shirts before we leave. Things like that...just running into a friend and grabbing a beer after class because we can...that's what I'm really going to miss. Life is so carefree here and even I might have trouble getting back into the swing of my always-too-busy-being-an-overachiever lifestyle.

Later that evening we all went to Reginella's for William's birthday dinner. We cheers-ed a few too many liters of vino to everything from William being 21 to Osama being dead. After that we had a classic night out: Lion's Fountain & Red Garter. I would say we should stray from these American bars, but they're too much fun. We met married couples in their late 20's from both Oregon and Toronto who got to relive their college years by hanging out with us. We even got the one lady to do a shot tower.

Today (12 days from my departure) I skipped class, just because I can. I hadn't used all of my allowed absences, so I figured I deserved a day to clean my room and souvenir shop at the market. Virginia and I had lunch at Antico Noe (most delicious sandwiches ever) and then to work off our sandwiches we climbed over 400 steps to the top of the Duomo Bell Tower! We got lucky that there was no line. At one point the stairwell got crowded and I got violated by a few Italian men, as well as knocked over by a really big nun. Good times. Luckily, the view was worth all of the stairwell turmoil:
I'm really going to miss this city...

No comments:

Post a Comment