Monday, May 9, 2011

Where did the time go?

I have four full days left in Florence. I'm in complete and utter disbelief. As excited I am to see my friends and family, and to indulge in American luxuries like super advanced, cutting-edge clothes dryer, I am not ready to leave at all.

Today, I had two finals (Social Psychology and International Marketing). Both went fine, I suppose, but school work is the last thing on my mind these days. I think it's the first time in my life I've ever been able to say that. My inner nerd kind of got cooler in Italy... Anyway, after my second final I ran into Mindy on our way out of Piazza Strozzi. We finished our exams at the exact same time. This is the universe's way of telling us that we need a beer from Lion's Fountain. Monday day drinking at Lion's has become a bit of a tradition in these last few days. We people watched and reminisced and enjoyed a delicious Harp from the best Irish Pub in Italy. I don't think I'll ever love a bar more than I love Lion's Fountain. I'm three stamps away from my "I <3 Lion's Fountain" t-shirt. Can't wait for it.

After going home to relax for a while, I went to the library to meet up with a friend from my class and study for my Tuesday final. We were both utterly lost and unmotivated. Remind me again why I thought I was capable of taking a history class with a bunch of artsy fartsy philosophy gurus? I would rather sit through Accounting five more times than study Renaissance Humanism. AHH.

I abandoned the library (and the studying) to go to Mama Gina's with Ashley, Virginia, Mindy, and Amelia. I had been dying to take them there ever since I went with Karen (and after all of the wonderful recommendations from my Aunties). Our waiter was the most adorable old Italian man who fell in love with us all and gave us a pretty nice discount on our meal. When we left, he told us Buonasera and said "Come back next time, I'll give you discount again." That's when I realized that "next time" won't be next week or next month or even next year. I have no idea when "next time" will be.

I walked home from dinner and got really, really sad about leaving. The Ponte Vecchio looked perfect and calm as it always does at night, and Piazza della Republica was all lit up with a cute little street band and people riding the carousel. I was feeling so nostalgic that I even convinced myself I was going to miss the sketchy Albanians who stand outside of their rip-off wine shops at night and try to convince me that they have the best student discount on 5 bottles of cheap wine. My time here went way too fast, and as much as I can convince myself that "I'll be back someday" someday won't be when I'm twenty years old with no responsibilities and and four months to embrace and an amazing group of friends to share it with.

I should be studying right now for this ridiculously irrelevant-to-my-future history class, but when I'm old, I don't think I'll care at all about this history class or my grade in it. I'll care about one of my last nights in Florence eating at Mama Gina's with our cute little waiter and smiling at the Italians hanging out in the Piazze living life in the carefree, beautiful way that they do.

Four days left to make the most of it. Here goes nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment