This past weekend was a perfect replication of a weekend in Clemson. Only in Europe! I flew out to Brussels to stay with Danielle (one of my sorority sisters) and Tricia (my best orientation ambassador friend). They're both studying at Clemson's satellite campus in Belgium with 30 other Clemson students. They all live in a hotel together, so this hotel has basically been transformed into a frat house.
Day One
I had a miraculous day of traveling on Thursday. I got to the Florence airport to find my flight was delayed. I had a connection in Munich, and due to the delay would be missing my connection. I would then be arriving in Brussels lord knows when. I also had no way to get in touch with Tricia since she doesn't have a phone, and I didn't have internet. Panic. I ran to Luftansa desk and demanded they put me on an earlier flight. Luckily there was room, but it was leaving in less than 20 minutes. In true Italian fashion they slowly clicked through their computer screen, casually asking if I preferred window or aisle, and if I minded that there wouldn't be a meal on this earlier flight. I DON'T CARE GIVE ME MY BOARDING PASS. I legitimately sprinted, cut the entire security line, and made it to the gate just as they were about to finish boarding. I then flew to Munich, and from Munich to Brussels. At this point the airport information desks are all closed down, I could not read the dutch on the train ticket machines, and I could not figure out which train was going where. I got on the first train I saw praying it would take me to Brussels Centraal. Luckily, it did, and I never got checked for a ticket. Yay, free train ride! From there I navigated the meto and arrived in front of the girls' hotel, noticing an open window full of drunk college students. Found them!
I was immediately greeted with drinks in a room packed with other Tigers. I changed quickly and we headed out to Celtica, their favorite local bar. It was a pub downstairs, and a mini club upstairs. The beer was so good and so cheap. It made me freak out a little when I realized I pay 5 euro for beer at Lion's Fountain. We danced and took a Clemson photo shoot until heading to the second bar: a karaoke bar. Am I in Clemson? Is it TDs Tuesday? We took over the bar and the Belgians didn't even seem to mind. Every American song you can think of was sang, and Tricia and I even got to sing our favorite Mariah Carey summer classic. I literally felt like I was in downtown Clemson again. Home sweet home.
Day Two
We got up the next day and headed out to do touristy things in Brussels. Luckily, it was their last weekend there so they wanted to go souvenir shopping and do as many touristy things as possible. We went to Grand Place, a beautiful square in the center of the city. I got my first Belgian waffle which really is everything it's cracked up to be. So unhealthy and so good. We did some souvenir shopping, saw the famous Mannequin Pis (the little peeing guy who is famous for no apparent reason) and got some Belgian frites. Best french fries I have ever tasted. I almost think Belgium might be a more fattening country than Italy. Never thought that was possible. We also visited the Atomium, this crazy looking structure that was built for an exhibit and never moved.
After the Atomium we ate dinner in the girls' hotel room and went out for beers at Delirium! It's a famous bar in Brussels that has over 2,000 types of beer. It was so packed but such a fun atmosphere. I got pear-flavored beer which was delicious! We turned in early this night since we were getting up at 7:30 a.m. the next morning to head to AMSTERDAM!
Day 3 - Koninginnedag 2011
In other words, Queen's Day 2011! Queen's Day is a huge national holiday in Holland to celebrate the Queen's birthday. It is basically a gigantic street party throughout the city with concerts, vendors, and people decked out in orange. In true Clemson fashion, we all met in the lobby bright and early decked out in our gameday best. We boarded a 3 hour train to Amsterdam, and took over a whole compartment with Clemson students. We even came equipped with cups and necessary ingredients for "screwmosas." That's a screwdriver and a mimosa combined. Pre-gaming on a train. Never thought I'd do that in my lifetime.
We arrived in Amsterdam to see the streets flooded with crazy Dutch people in orange. The city was really charming and beautiful, but it was a bit difficult to get the true gist of it when it was so crowded with orange. We did Clemson proud today.
The entire day consisted of wandering, eating, drinking, dancing, singing, and observing the wild and crazy culture of the city of Amsterdam. I don't even know where the time went, because within hours it was time to head back to the train to Brussels. I took a lovely three hour nap on the train which was the perfect remedy to the crazy day I experienced.
Day 4
My last day in Brussels we wandered the city a bit more and I bought some Belgian chocolates to bring home to my roomies. We got lunch and then relaxed the rest of the day while the girls started to pack up their stuff! They leave a week before I do. It made the fact that I'm leaving so soon a scary reality :/ I got home to Florence safe and sound after a great Clemmy-filled weekend!

No comments:
Post a Comment